Welcome to the back half of the book of Revelation. This chapter can challenge the brain. It has challenged many biblical scholars and we are just seeking the LORD's truth of things to come. That is why the LORD allowed this book to be part of His Living Word.
When I have read this chapter as part of the "story," it did not make sense. It almost seems as if it is out of order or a flashback to earlier happenings. For me, I think it because in my head, everything in Revelation will be in the future and because I live in the natural world and John is caught in in the Spirit, John is seeing happenings that are not happening in the natural but in the spiritual. And when I approach this chapter prayerfully from a spiritual standpoint, I personally spiritual standpoint, I personally find the Holy Spirit is able to help my brain process and assimilate this chapter. Lots of questions … to consider if you are interested in savoring and digging deeper.
So let’s grab our favorite bible translation and answer some questions …
This chapter revolves around THREE key elements that are 1) the woman, 2) the dragon, and 3) the child. So instead of a linear line of questioning, the questions are grouped under these three element.
IMPORTANT >>> the book of Genesis and Revelation are intertwined. So before we dig, let's go back into the Garden of Eden to see what LORD GOD said to the serpent after Adam and Eve had sinned.
“And I will put enmity (open hostility) between you and the woman, and between your seed (offspring) and her Seed; He shall [fatally] bruise your head, and you shall [only] bruise His heel.” Genesis 3:15
The Woman, Israel
1) Who is this woman?
(suggestions: Israel, Mary, the “Church founded on Jesus Christ”, ALL of the above.)
2) Is this in the natural OR in the spiritual OR both?? (HINT: v1 …. Very first words of this chapter)
3) IF it is something that has or will happen in the natural world, who would “the woman” be??
4) At the beginning of the chapter what is the woman doing? (HINT: v1)
5) To whom did the woman give birth? (HINT: v5)
6) After the birth what does the woman do? (HINT: v5)
How long is she there?
Why or what is happening while she is there for this time?
7) Why does the dragon persecute the woman who gave birth to the male child? (HINT: v13)
WHAT is presented in Scripture and Sacred Tradition as feminine??
HINT: look up greek word which is feminine: “ekklesia.”
Given this verse can you see that perhaps this is not a single woman/human but perhaps a “feminine” being. (example: God and Jesus are male pronouns >>> HE. What word having to do with the LORD and Jesus are referred to by the feminine pronoun of SHE??)
8) How does the woman flee? (HINT: v14)
Who provided the method of escape?
How long is the woman “away from the presence of the serpent”?
What is happening to the woman while she is away??
9) How does the serpent retaliate against the woman’s flight? (HINT: v15)
Why does he do this?
10) How is the woman protected from the attack? (HINT: v16)
The Red Dragon, Satan
1) How is the dragon described as the chapter opens? (HINT: v3)
What does the color represent?
What do you think all the heads, horns and crowns represent?
2) The dragon does several things after John describes him: what are those bullet points?
WHO and HOW many are flung to earth … what do the stars represent? (HINT: v8-9)
What is the dragon’s beef with the woman? (HINT: Genesis 3: 15-16)
Why would he want her child?
Who is the child?
3) In verse 7, the action with the dragon changes and is clearly happening in heaven:
What is happening? (HINT: v7-9)
What happens to the losers?
Who is the leader of those that lost?
What is his name?
What is his soul focus and purposes? (Hint: v9)
4) There is rejoicing and woe in verse 12:
Who is the focus of the rejoicing?
Who is the focus of the woe?
What do we know about the devil from this verse?
5) Where does the dragon vent his anger because he has been kicked out of heaven? (HINT: v13)
6) As the woman is escaping, how does the dragon respond? (HINT: v15-16)
What actions does he take?
What is the result of that action?
7) Who does the dragon rage against after he fails in destroying the woman?? (HINT: v17)
Who are they?
How does he wage war against them?
The Male Child, Christ
1) Who did the woman give birth to? (HINT: v5)
What is the purpose of this male child?
What happens to the child after his birth?
2) As a result of Satan and his evil angels being cast to the earth, what is proclaimed? (HINT: v10)
What kingdom is announced?
Who are the head?
How do we (the believer) fit into this chapter??
1) Who are “our believing brothers and sister” (HINT: v10)
How are we able to overcome and be conquerors against Satan's evil forces?
(HINT: v11 >>> two key things)
What does “word of their testimony” mean?
2) When the dragon was unable to destroy the woman, he waged war on who? (HINT: v17)
Who are these children?
What is a mark of their allegiance?
What characteristics do they have?